Thursday, February 22, 2007

 

Stop More War Before It Starts

It's not too late to stop a war with Iran. But time may be running out.

As the BBC reported Tuesday, it appears that the Bush administration may be preparing for air strikes on Iran soon despite the administration's recent claims to the contrary.

Will you join us in our campaign to prevent war with Iran? Click here to stop this war.

The threat of a U.S. attack is very real. The administration has been building its case for weeks, claiming Iran support for insurgents in Iraq.

On Monday, the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis — backed by a strike group with more than 6,500 sailors and Marines and with additional minesweeping ships — arrived in the Persian Gulf region, joining the Eisenhower carrier group in a 'show if strength.'

The administration maintains its build-up in the region is a response to Iranian naval war games in the gulf, setting the stage - or creating the pretext - for a confrontation.

I'm leaving for Iran next week and I admit I'm more than a little nervous about the trip. I will be touring some of the disputed nuclear sites and perhaps meeting with former Iranian President Khatemi and with a variety of civil society leaders in Iran.

I want to thank each of you who have agreed to sponsor my trip to Iran. I greatly appreciate your generous support and look forward to reporting back to you upon my return.


When I return, I will be traveling to speak at events around the country, report on my citizen diplomacy initiative and build opposition to a war with Iran.

There is more we can - and must - do however. Today, I need your help to accelerate Peace Action Education Fund's plans to launch an online ad campaign to increase public awareness of this latest threat to peace and use it to turn up the heat on Congress.

Our last campaign was a huge success, thanks in large part to your support. It helped us educate Congress on the threat of war with Iran and that is now paying dividends as several Members of Congress have already proposed legislation to block any attack on Iran absent congressional authorization.

I am working to put this in place before I leave for Iran and with your generous contribution, I believe we can raise the $7,000 necessary to succeed.

Events are moving so fast and we need to act now to let our fellow citizens know the threat of a U.S. strike against Iran is imminent and invite them to join us in preventing it.

In peace,

Paul Kawika Martin
Organizing and Political Director

P.S. Before I leave for Iran, I want to put an ad campaign in place to alert our fellow citizens of the very real danger of a U.S. strike on Iran. Expanding Bush's war to Iran will kill thousands, further jeopardize our troops in the region and could very well cause the violence to spiral out of control, engulfing the entire region, and maybe the whole world. Please join the effort to prevent an attack on Iran. Click here to help.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?